Home :: Mascara
Mascara - How to Apply Mascara
Mascara is your most effective makeup tool. It is a great eye opener that emphasizes the lashes. Mascara is one of the most popular beauty items defines and brings color to the lashes, and highlights and dramatizes eyes.
Here are the steps for applying mascara.
- Consider the types of mascara and select one appropriate for your lashes and the occasion. You have a choice of lengthening, thickening, long-wearing, conditioning and waterproof formulas, among others. For day, you might decide to add length, while a night on the town may require a long-wearing or thickening formula.
- Now select the color of mascara if you have blond or red lashes, opt for brown mascara. If you have darker-lashed can select the brown for a casual look, and black or brown-black for more pronounced or dramatic lashes.
- Curl your lashes with an eyelash curler, if desired then apply all other eye makeup prior to your mascara.You must ensure that the mascara covers the lashes from the root to the tip of the lash.
- Now begin with the underside of your upper lashes, moving the brush slowly upward toward the tips of your lashes. Always hold the wand parallel to your eyelid and the brush tip will always stay away from the eye socket area . Roll the brush slowly on the upward stroke to promote separation of the lashes. This first coat of mascara is a light coat.
- Apply mascara 2 or 3 times throughout the makeup session, letting each coat dry before applying the another coat in the same manner.
- Use an eyelash comb to separate the wet lashes and also use tissue to remove some of the excess mascara from lashes.
- Hold the wand vertically when applying mascara to lower lashes, use less mascara for the lower lashes. Begin where the lashes meet the rim of the lower eyelid, and gently stroke downward.
- Remove any stray and extra mascara which is around the eye with a cotton swab dipped in a small amount of eye makeup remover.
- Always allow the first coat of mascara to dry before applying the second coat.
- Always remove eye makeup thoroughly before going to bed.
- If your mascara is new and the deposit on the wand is plentiful, then tissue off is best to remove some of the excess mascara.
- Place your mascara in hot water to avoid clumps.
- Always try different colors of mascara - maybe brown, navy or green.
Back to makeup section