Home :: Skin Care :: Skin Vitamins
Your skin is the largest organ of your body and it's the first thing people notice about you. Broadly speaking, the skin has two layers- the outer layer, or epidermis and the inner layer, the dermis.
The epidermis is made of several rows of living cells, covered with a horny layer of dead cells. These are constantly being shed and replaced by new cells from the lower layers. the process by which dead cells are shed is know as 'desquamation.' In the basal layer of the epidermis are cell know as melanocytes . They produce melanin, the pigment which gives the skin its colour. Melanin also protects the skin from the damage caused by the sun's radiation.
The epidermis is supported by the dermis,which plays an important role in determining the contours of the skin. The dermis is formed of tough , flexible connective tissue, the structural network of collagen and elastin fibers that support the skin and are responsible for its tone,firmness and resilience. The dermis contains sweat and sebaceous(oil producing) glands. The surface ends of oil glands form the pores of the skin .
How To cleanse gently
- Wash your face in warm- not hot!-water to loosen clogged pores and stimulate blood circulation to the skin
- Wet the face,then squeeze a dime-sized dab of cleanser into your palm, rub your hands together, and gently move them in circles around your face.
- Rinse with cool (but not icy) water to tighten the pores.Water that is too hot or too cold can cause broken capillaries.
How To rub your scrub
- After you Cleanse your face, take a bit of scurb into the palm of your hand.
- Wet it and lightly press the scrub into your skin .
- Then massage it gently around your face with the same easy pressure you use to shave your legs.
- The force of the abrasion should lie somewhere between that used to wash with a washcloth and a loofah.(Never use aloofah on your face ;it's much too abrasive.)To really get your circulation going, splash with cool,then warm water.
WARNING: Don't overscurb, because you need some of that surface stuff around to protect your skin
How To Maximize your moisturizer
- Gently apply a dime- sized dab to your skin.
- Use an upward, circular motion to lightly massage the moisturizer into your face . Make sure not to pull or tug on the skin . If your skin is oily, don't massage too much :facial massage stimulates the oil glands to produce more sebem, which is the last thing oily skin needs.
- When you apply cream under the eye, do it gently .(This is the most delicate skin on the face.) Use your fourth finger (the weakest)and pat the cream back and forth under the eye, starting at the outer corner and working inward Do this twice a day once in the morning before applying makeup and once at night after removing it. Don't put eye cream on your upper lids before bedtime or you'll wake up with puffy lids.
Skin care tips
Always apply a thin coat of moisturizer before you enter a sauna. It helps prevent broken capillaries.
- In warm weather, stash your gel, lotion, or cream in the fridge. The chills feels good on your weather, warm your moisturizer between your hands for a few seconds before you apply it your face. It will absorb better.
- When you come home form work and your skin is almost as tired as you are, wash up and then slather on a face oil. Since you won't be going out again to face the world anyway, it doesn't matter if your face temporarily transforms into a reflector shield until the oil is absorbed. Once it does, your skin will feel like the proverbial baby's bottom.
- Keeps makeup out of sunlight; keeps sunscreens out of sun when at the beach.
Toning is necessary for all skin types. It follows immediately after cleansing and helps to refresh the skin. It also helps to improve blood circulation to the skin surface and gives the skin the 'glow' that is associated with its good health.
- A good way of toning the skin is to cotton wool pads soaking in a bowl of skin tonic, in the refrigerator. After cleansing the skin, wipe with the skin tonic pads and then pat the skin briskly. This stimulates blood circulation to the surface.
- Gentle stroking movements can also be followed. Using the cotton wool pads , soaked in skin tonic, start on the cheeks , with an outward and slightly upward movement. Using both hands, work on each side simultaneously, towards the temples. Press lightly at each temple. For the chin and on either corner of the nose, use small circular movements. Use a circular motion and a very light touch for the area around the eyes.
Back to skin care section